Emily began working in the nonprofit sector during college, and has not strayed far from it since. She believes that the nonprofit sector plays an indispensible role in giving a voice to underserved communities. The combined experience of working both within the nonprofit community and as an advisor to nonprofits has provided her with the ability to understand both the culture within the organization and the particular demands that nonprofits face on a daily basis. By focusing her entire practice on the nonprofit community, she is able to better advise organizations on the unique issues that affect the sector.
- Incorporation and initial start-up issues
- Application for federal tax exempt status
- Ongoing advice regarding federal tax compliance
- Compliance around lobbying, advocacy, and political activities
- Fiscal sponsorship
- Donor Advised Funds
- Charitable solicitation regulation
- Governance and best practices
- Contract drafting and review
- Mergers and Dissolutions
- Operational and governance policies
- Sales tax and property tax exemption issues
Latest blog post...
The form 990/990-EZ (or a valid request for an extension on Form 8868) is due by the 15th day of the 5th month following the conclusion of an organization's fiscal year. For organizations that are calendar year organizations (tax year ending on 12/31), that due date is generally May 15th and is fast approaching (May 15th falls on a Sunday this year - so it is instead due by May 16th). With that in mind, I've compiled the following information to assist your organization with successful and on-time filing.Read more...