Emily began working in the nonprofit sector during college, and has not strayed far from it since. She believes that the nonprofit sector plays an indispensible role in giving a voice to underserved communities. The combined experience of working both within the nonprofit community and as an advisor to nonprofits has provided her with the ability to understand both the culture within the organization and the particular demands that nonprofits face on a daily basis. By focusing her entire practice on the nonprofit community, she is able to better advise organizations on the unique issues that affect the sector.
- Drafting and review of Articles of Incorporation and Bylaws
- Initial Application for federal tax exemption
- Ongoing counsel on federal tax compliance issues
- Lobbying and policy advocacy compliance rules
- State and Federal tax reporting requirements
- Governance and best practices
- Contract drafting and review
- Mergers and Dissolutions
- Drafting, review and implementation of workplace policies
- Hiring and termination practices
- State and federal employment law compliance issues
Latest blog post...
In August of last year I had commented on my interest in the Freedom from Religion Foundation’s challenge to the IRS’ selective enforcement (or, zero enforcement) of the prohibition on political activities against churches. The case is still ongoing, however in early February the Court did allow another party to join the suit.Read more...