Emily began working in the nonprofit sector during college, and has not strayed far from it since. She believes that the nonprofit sector plays an indispensible role in giving a voice to underserved communities. The combined experience of working both within the nonprofit community and as an advisor to nonprofits has provided her with the ability to understand both the culture within the organization and the particular demands that nonprofits face on a daily basis. By focusing her entire practice on the nonprofit community, she is able to better advise organizations on the unique issues that affect the sector.
- Incorporation and initial start-up issues
- Application for federal tax exempt status
- Ongoing advice regarding federal tax compliance
- Compliance around lobbying, advocacy, and political activities
- Fiscal sponsorship
- Donor Advised Funds
- Charitable solicitation regulation
- Governance and best practices
- Contract drafting and review
- Mergers and Dissolutions
- Operational and governance policies
- Sales tax and property tax exemption issues
Latest blog post...
A recent decision by the 3rd Circuit Court of Appeals is raising some eyebrows and hopefully causing some directors and officers of nonprofit corporations to think twice before taking a casual approach to their duties. The Court in In re: Lemington Home for the Aged upheld a jury verdict that found fifteen former directors jointly and severally liable for $2.25 million dollars for breach of fiduciary duties, and imposed punitive damages of $1 million and $750k against the two former officers.Read more...